Skip to content
Makes 1 10" Pie Shell
cups (235g) All Purpose Flour
tbsp. (98g) Black & Bolyard® Original Brown Butter
tsp. (3g) Kosher Salt
Tbsp. (86g) Ice Cold Water
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the Black & Bolyard® Original Brown Butter onto a cookie sheet or small tray, leaving the small scoops of brown butter separated.
- Chill the brown butter in the fridge or freezer until firm.
- Meanwhile, measure out the flour and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the chilled brown butter to the dry ingredients and start working it into the mixture.
- Mix until small bits of brown butter remain, roughly 1/2″ (13mm) in size.
- Pour the ice cold water into the bowl and mix gently until the flour has roughly absorbed most of the liquid. Do not overwork the dough – some dry bits are okay.
- Once the dough stays together when squeezed in your hand, tightly wrap the mass in plastic wrap and flatten into an even disk about 1″(25mm) thick.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for approximately 1 hour before rolling out. Use as needed in recipe.
- To blind bake the pie dough, preheat the oven to 350°F. Pull the dough out of the fridge and let temper until slightly pliable.
- Roll out the tempered dough using additional flour as needed until it is big enough to fit into the pie tin.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Transfer the dough to the pie tin and blind bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.